Yampil (Vinnytsia oblast)
Yampil (Vinnytsia oblast) [Jampil’]. Map: V-9. A town smt (2001 pop 11,787) at the junction of the Rusava River and the Dniester River and a raion center in Vinnytsia oblast. It is first mentioned in historical documents in the 16th century, as a trading center of Bratslav voivodeship. At the beginning of the 17th century it was acquired by Jan Zamoyski, who built a castle there. During Bohdan Khmelnytsky's rule it became a company town of Mohyliv-Podilskyi regiment and then Bratslav regiment. After being destroyed by S. Lanckoroński's troops in 1651, the town declined to a village. During the 18th century it belonged to the Potocki family. It was annexed by Russia in 1793, and became a county town in Podilia gubernia. Today it is an agricultural center of which the main industry is food processing.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]