Mohyliv-Podilskyi regiment (aka Mohyliv, Podilia, or Dnister regiment). An administrative territory and military formation of the Hetman state (see Regimental system). It was formed in the summer of 1648 as soon as Podilia was liberated from Polish rule during the Cossack Polish War. The regiment's first commander was Col Ivan Bohun, whose headquarters were in Vinnytsia. After the Battle of Zboriv in 1649, most of the regiment was absorbed by Bratslav regiment. In 1656 it was revived under the name of Podilia regiment, with headquarters in Mohyliv (now Mohyliv-Podilskyi). Its territory was ceded to Poland by the Treaty of Andrusovo (1667), but the regiment was not disbanded. It was resettled on the territory of Kyiv regiment, and functioned as a separate military force until 1676. During the last period of its existence the regiment was commanded intermittently by Col Ostap Hohol.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]