Hromads’ka dumka («Громадська думка»; Community Thought). The first Ukrainian-language daily newspaper published in the Russian Empire. It was published in Kyiv by Yevhen Chykalenko, Vasyl Symyrenko, and Volodymyr M. Leontovych and first appeared on 31 December 1905 (OS). The first day's run of 5,000 copies was confiscated by the authorities, but the newspaper was again allowed to continue. It was closed temporarily by the government in late January 1906 and repressed throughout its existence. The last issued appeared on 18 August 1906 (OS), following which it was finally banned by the tsarist government. It published articles on politics, economics, culture, and developments in science, as well as literary works. The chief editor was Fedir Matushevsky and the editorial secretary was Vsevolod Kozlovsky. Contributors included Serhii Yefremov, Volodymr Durdukivsky, Borys Hrinchenko and Mariia Hrinchenko, and Modest Levytsky. Articles by Mykhailo Hrushevsky (on Ukrainian political thought in the 19th century), B. Hrinchenko (on education), and Vasyl Domanytsky (review of Ukrainian press in Russia) were published, as well as publicistic articles by Osyp Makovei and Mykhailo Lozynsky, poems and satire by Volodymyr Samiilenko, Khrystia Alchevska, Mykola Cherniavsky, and Pylyp Kapelhorodsky, and belles-lettres by Arkhyp Teslenko, Volodymyr Vynnychenko, and M. Levytsky. In September 1906 the daily Rada (Kyiv) succeeded Hromads’ka dumka.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine