Ukrainian Society of Bibliophiles in Prague [Українське товариство прихильників книги в Празі; Ukrainske tovarystvo prykhylnykiv knyhy v Prazi]. An association of bibliographers, librarians, book publishers, and book lovers, founded in Prague in January 1927. It organized conferences and lectures on Ukrainian bibliography and book publishing, book exhibits, and displays; compiled bibliographies of Ukrainian publications and Ucrainica; published the journal Knyholiub (1927–32); organized a large exhibition of Ukrainian book graphic art in 1933; and, from 1934, sponsored annual awards for the five best-designed Ukrainian publications. The society maintained close contact with similar organizations in Czechoslovakia, Poland, Lviv, and (initially) Soviet Ukraine. In 1932 it had over 100 members. Its first head, Stepan Siropolko, was succeeded in 1934 by Volodymyr Sichynsky. The society ceased to exist in 1942.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine