Nyva («Нива»; Sown Field). A journal of religious and social affairs published semimonthly in 1904–14 and then monthly in 1916–39 in Lviv. The journal supported the traditional Eastern orientation of Ukrainian Catholicism. For a time it was published by the Society of Saint Paul the Apostle. Nyva was edited by Revs Yaroslav Levytsky (1904–7, 1910–18), O. Voliansky (1908–10), Havril Kostelnyk (1920–9), and Petro Khomyn. The journal issued the supplements Katekhytychnyi misiachnyk and Propovidi and a separate series of books and pamphlets. In 1930 the journal had a circulation of 1,500.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]