Korniakt, Konstiantyn

Image - The Church of the Lviv Dormition Brotherhood (built 1591-1631) and the Korniakt Tower (1578). Image - Lviv's Korniakt Building (1580): the courtyard loggia.

Korniakt, Konstiantyn [Корнякт, Костянтин; Kornjakt, Konstjantyn], 1517–1603. Merchant and philanthropist. A Greek by origin, in the mid-16th century he worked at the court of the Moldavian hospodar A. Lapuşneanu. In the 1560s he moved to Lviv, where he became one of the city's wealthiest merchants. He conducted extensive trade with the territories under Ottoman rule and with Germany, and eventually owned over 40 villages in the Lviv and Peremyshl areas. In 1589 he became a member of the Lviv Dormition Brotherhood, although he later supported Bishop Hedeon Balaban in his struggle with the brotherhood. He personally financed the construction of the belfry of the Dormition Church in Lviv (1572–8). The belfry and his house, the famous Korniakt building, are among the finest examples of Ukrainian Renaissance architecture.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]


Image - Lviv's Korniakt Building (1580), currently Lviv Historical Museum.


List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Korniakt, Konstiantyn entry:


A referral to this page is found in 4 entries.



Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.