Kuznevych, Hryhorii [Кузневич, Григорій; Kuznevyč, Hryhorij], b 30 September 1871 in Stare Brusno, Liubachiv county, Galicia, d 9 January 1948 in Hanachivka, Peremyshliany raion, Lviv oblast. Sculptor. After studying at the Lviv School of Industrial Design and Julian Markowski's studio, he spent two years (1899–1901) at the Rome Institute of Fine Arts and carved the statues The First Farmer (1900) and The Potter (1901) there. Returning to Lviv he did the monuments to S. Szczepanowski (1905) and B. Głowacki (1906) at Lychakiv Cemetery in Lviv. His early works include Fortuna (1892) for a savings bank and a decorative composition for the Arts Palace in Lviv (1894), both in collaboration with J. Markowski. During his stay in the United States (1907–12) he produced a bust of Taras Shevchenko (1908, another in 1914) and designed a monument to Shevchenko for Kyiv (1910). Upon his return he carved a number of works in honor of the great poet, including a medallion with an image of Shevchenko, and a bust of Mykola Lysenko (1914) for the Lysenko Music Society in Lviv.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]