Novyi chas

Novyi chas [«Новий час»; New Time]. A newspaper published from October 1923 to September 1939 in Lviv. It appeared twice a week to 1925, three times a week from 1926, and daily except Sundays from 1932. Initially funded by the underground Ukrainian Military Organization, from the mid-1920s it was aligned with the Ukrainian National Democratic Alliance. From 1934 it was published by the Ukrainska Presa publishing house, owned by the longtime manager of Novyi chas, Ivan Tyktor. The newspaper became the most widely read Ukrainian daily in Galicia; in 1938 it had a circulation of 16,000. It published several supplements, a library of popular books, and an annual almanac (from 1931) and conducted fund-raising campaigns on behalf of Ukrainian children, the Hutsuls, and community institutions. The editors were Dmytro Paliiv, Mykhailo Matchak, Myron Konovalets, Osyp Bodnarovych, Petro Sahaidachny, and Zenon Pelensky. Its foreign correspondents included Yu. Strutynsky, L. Mydlovsky, Dmytro Katamai, and Volodymyr Kysilevsky.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Novyi chas entry:


A referral to this page is found in 9 entries.







Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.