Poltava Art Museum
Poltava Art Museum (Полтавський художній музей; Poltavskyi khudozhnii muzei). A museum in Poltava, established in 1919. Until 1940 it was called the Poltava Picture Gallery. Originally it consisted of 60 paintings by Mykola Yaroshenko and the nationalized private collections of the Kochubei, Galagan, Kapnist, and Repnin families. The museum is housed in a building built in 1912 and designed by Pavlo Aloshyn. During the Second World War over 25,000 objects were removed by the Nazis, including a priceless collection of Western European paintings.
Today the museum's departments of 16th- to 19th-century European art, 17th- to early 20th-century Ukrainian and Russian art, and contemporary art contain over 9,000 works, including ones by painters such as J.-B. Greuze, E. Delacroix, L. Cranach, P. Lely, G. van Eyck, Volodymyr Borovykovsky, Dmytro H. Levytsky, A. Orłowski, Petro Levchenko, Mykola Yaroshenko, Serhii Vasylkivsky, Ilia Repin, Opanas Slastion, Ihor Hrabar, Mykola Burachek, Fedir Krychevsky, Mykola Hlushchenko, Kateryna Bilokur, Nykanor Onatsky, Mykhailo Derehus, Oleksii Shovkunenko, and Tetiana Yablonska.
[This article was updated in 2013.]