Ukrainian Club (Український клюб; Ukrainskyi kliub). A literary and artistic society founded in Kyiv in 1908 by various leading Ukrainian cultural figures, such as Mykhailo Starytsky, Mykola Sadovsky, Olena Pchilka, Oleksander Oles, and Mykola Lysenko. The club's literary-dramatic, musical, lecture, and library sections organized theatrical performances by Sadovsky's theater, literary-musical evenings which included artists from the Solovtsov theater and advanced students from the Lysenko Music and Drama School, and public lectures by figures such as Ivan Franko, Mykhailo Kotsiubynsky, and Lesia Ukrainka. The tsarist authorities closed down the club in 1912. It was revived in 1913 as the Rodyna club, and it was disbanded again by the authorities at the outbreak of the First World War.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]