Ukrainian Military History Institute
Ukrainian Military History Institute (Український воєнно-історичний інститут; Ukrainskyi voienno-istorychnyi instytut). Founded in Toronto in 1952 as a continuation of the Ukrainian Military History Society. It established a museum of the UNR Army and Navy and published two volumes of Za derzhavnist’ (1964, 1966). It was headed by Gen Mykhailo Sadovsky until 1967 and then by Col M. Bytynsky. The institute was dissolved in 1969, and its museum was transferred to the Ukrainian Academy of Arts and Sciences, which reopened it in Winnipeg in 1981.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]