Biliashivsky, Mykola [Біляшівський, Микола; Biljašivs'kyj], b 24 October 1867 in Uman, Kyiv gubernia, d 21 April 1926 in Kyiv. Archeologist, ethnographer, and art historian; full member of All-Ukrainian Academy of Sciences from 1919 and the Shevchenko Scientific Society. He studied at Kyiv University and Odesa University. From 1902 to 1923 he served as director of the Kyiv City Museum of Antiquities and Art. In 1906 he was a member of the first Russian State Duma and belonged to its Ukrainian caucus (see Ukrainian caucus in the Russian State Duma). During the First World War the Russian Academy of Sciences entrusted him with the preservation of cultural monuments in Galicia and Bukovyna. From 1917 he presided over the Central Committee for the Preservation of Antiquities and Art Monuments in Ukraine. He edited Arkheologicheskaia letopis' Iuzhnoi Rossii in 1899–1905. From 1887 Biliashivsky was involved in researching the cultural and artistic monuments from the Stone Age to the early Middle Ages. His most important archeological excavations unearthed the Kyivan Rus' city of Roden at Kniazha Hora near Kaniv (1891–2), Slavic settlements and graves in Volhynia, and Trypilian culture settlements in the Uman and Kyiv regions (specifically, at the village of Borysivka, Kyiv region, in 1904). Some of the artifacts recovered in these excavations went to the Shevchenko Scientific Society museum in Lviv. Biliashivsky is the author of Monetnye klady Kievskoi gubernii (Caches of Coins in Kyiv Gubernia, 1889) and of articles on Ukrainian archeology, many of them in Kievskaia starina.
Vynnyts'kyi, A. Mykola Teodotovych Biliashivs'kyi (Kyiv 1926)
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]