Black Building

Black Building (Chorna kamianytsia). (Photo: the Black Building.) A residential building in the market square in Lviv; an architectural monument built in 1577 by Petro Krasovsky in the Renaissance style. In 1675–7 its attic and portals were restored, and in 1884 a fourth story was added. The facade and the corner pilasters are built of carved stone that has turned black with time; hence the name of the building. The facade is decorated with ornamentation and carved figures. Today the Black Building houses a historical museum.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Black Building entry:


A referral to this page is found in 5 entries.















Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.