Kyiv Art School
Kyiv Art School (Kyivske khudozhnie uchylyshche). A secondary art school that operated in Kyiv from 1900 to 1920. During its first year it offered temporary classes in painting, drawing, and sketching. In 1901 the classes were reorganized into a regular program and the school was placed under the control of the Saint Petersburg Academy of Arts. It attracted students from the Kyiv Drawing School, reaching an enrollment of over 500 by 1902. It had a department of painting and of architecture. The school was organized by V. Menk, Vladimir Nikolaev (director to 1911), Volodymyr Orlovsky, Mykola Pymonenko, Khariton Platonov, and Ivan Seleznov. Its faculty included Fedir Balavensky, Mykhailo Boichuk, Hryhorii Diadchenko, Mykhailo Kozyk, Fotii Krasytsky, Fedir Krychevsky, and Oleksander Murashko. Among its graduates were Alexander Archipenko, Oleksander Bohomazov, Alexandra Exter, Ivan Kavaleridze, Oleksander Lozovsky, Ivan Padalka, Abram Manevich, Anatol Petrytsky, and Vasyl Sedliar.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1989).]