Marusyn, Myroslav [Марусин, Мирослав], b 26 June 1924 in Kniazhe, Zolochiv county, Galicia, d 21 September 2009 in Rome. Ukrainian Catholic archbishop; member of the Shevchenko Scientific Society since 1979. He studied theology at the Greek Catholic Theological Academy in Lviv, the Catholic academy in Paderborn (Germany, 1944–9), and the Papal Institute for Oriental Studies in Rome (PH D 1951). He was ordained in 1946 and became secretary and chancellor to Archbishop Ivan Buchko in Rome in 1949. In 1958 he joined the Liturgical Commission of the Congregation for Eastern Churches, which prepares new editions of liturgical books. In 1963 he became a professor of liturgical studies at the Ukrainian Catholic University (Rome). He also served as a priest for parishes in Italy, Switzerland, and Scandinavia, and in 1971 he was made apostolic visitator for Ukrainians in Western Europe. He was consecrated a bishop in 1974, and Pope Paul VI then appointed him deputy head of the commission charged with revising the Eastern canon law. Pope John Paul II made him archbishop on 12 November 1982 and appointed him as secretary of the Congregation for Eastern Churches. Marusyn has published a history (in German) of the relationship between Lviv eparchy and Peremyshl eparchy and the Vatican (1951), and a number of pamphlets and articles on liturgical, theological, and historical themes.
[This article was updated in 2016.]