Novhorod-Siverskyi vicegerency (Novhorod-Siverske namisnytstvo). One of three Russian vicegerencies created in Left-Bank Ukraine in 1782 after the abolition of the administrative-territorial regiments of the Hetman state. The vicegerency's capital was Novhorod-Siverskyi. Its territory replaced that of Starodub regiment and parts of Chernihiv regiment and Nizhyn regiment. It was divided into 11 counties: Hlukhiv, Konotop, Korop, Krolevets, Mglin, Novhorod-Siverskyi, Novoe Mesto, Pohar, Starodub, Sosnytsia, and Surazh. In 1782 the vicegerency had 11 cities, 22 towns, and 2,186 villages and other settlements, with a total male population of 371,046. In 1797 it was abolished, and its territory became part of Little Russia gubernia. A detailed description of the vicegerency's population and settlements, prepared in 1779–81 by a commission headed by A. Myloradovych, was edited by Pavlo Fedorenko and published by the VUAN Archeographic Commission in 1931.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]