Starosolsky, Ihor [Старосольський, Ігор; Starosol's'kyj], b 3 August 1908 in Lviv, d 10 February 1988 in Lviv. Engineer and restorer; son of Volodymyr Starosolsky and Dariia Starosolska; brother of Yurii Starosolsky and Uliana Starosolska. A graduate of the Lviv Polytechnical Institute, he was deported to Kazakhstan in May 1940 together with his mother and sister. In 1943–6 he was imprisoned in a labor camp in Siberia. He returned to Lviv in 1946, where he became an assistant in the Department of Urban Construction at the Polytechnical Institute. In the fall of 1949 he was arrested for visiting his uncle, Osyp Shukhevych (father of Roman Shukhevych), and he languished in labor camps until June 1956. After his release he returned to Lviv. In 1957 he initiated the creation of a planning department for the restoration of architectural monuments, which eventually became a branch of the Kyiv-based Ukrainian Restoration Planning Institute. He was involved in or supervised the restoration of many edifices, including churches in Drohobych, Lavriv, Lviv, Kamianka-Buzka, Potylych, Chervonohrad, Peremyshliany, Pidhirtsi, Horodok (Lviv oblast), Sambir, and Radekhiv; the castles in Nevytske, Olesko, Pidhirtsi, Svirzh, and Mukachevo; and the Maniava Hermitage.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]