Museum of Theater, Music, and Cinema Arts of Ukraine (Музей театрального, музичного та кіномистецтва України; Muzei teatralnoho, muzychnoho ta kinomystetstva Ukrainy). The largest collection of materials on the history of Ukrainian theater, music, and film in Ukraine. It was formed in 1926 as a theater museum out of the Berezil theater's collection (est 1924), which in 1926 became part of the All-Ukrainian Academy of Sciences. In 1934 the museum was brought under the jurisdiction of the Committee for Artistic Affairs. In 1965 a cinema and a music department were added, and the museum was given its present name. By 1985 it possessed approximately 190,000 exhibits, including an 18th-century vertep with a set of puppets, folk musical instruments of the 18th and 19th centuries, manuscripts of plays and letters by Marko Kropyvnytsky, Ivan Karpenko-Kary, Mykola Sadovsky, Mariia Zankovetska, and Panas Saksahansky, the original music manuscripts of Mykola Lysenko, Mykola Arkas, Borys Liatoshynsky, and Lev Revutsky, costumes, stage decorations, posters, programs, personal collections such as Vasyl Vasylko’s with 5,000 items, and music publications from the mid-18th century. It has a photo, phono, film, and special-books library. The museum is situated on the grounds of the National Kyivan Cave Historical-Cultural Preserve. In 1960 the Mariia Zankovetska Museum and in 1980 the Lysenko Museum, branches of the Kyiv Museum, were opened in Mykola Lysenko’s former (1898–1912) residence. In 2001 the museum assumed its present name. In 2009 the museum-apartment of composer Viktor Kosenko became a branch of the museum.
[This article was updated in 2017.]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine