Nova Kakhovka [Нова Каховка; Nova Kaxovka]. Map: VII-14. A port city (20011 pop 48298) on the left bank of the Dnipro River in Kherson oblast. It was founded in 1951, when the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Station was built. The city was built on the site of Klisheve village (est 1891). Nova Kakhovka is a modern, planned city with wide streets laid out on a grid and lined with greenery. Its industries produce asphalt, reinforced-concrete structures, and hydroelectric machinery and equipment.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]