Alushta

Image - Ivan Aivazovsky: Alushta (1878)

Alushta [Alušta]. Map: IX-15. City (2001 pop 31,440) in the Crimea, on the Crimean southern shore. Alushta has resorts, sanatoriums, and beaches. It was founded in the 6th century AD on the site of the fortress Aluston, built during the reign of the Byzantine emperor Justinian. It was ruled by Genoa from the 14th century, by the Turks from 1475, and by Russia from 1783. Since 1954 the city has been located within the Ukrainian borders.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]


Image - One of the Alushta beaches. Image - A church in Alupka, Crimea. Image - A view of Alushta, Crimea. Image - The Princess Gagarin palace in Alushta, Crimea. Image - A sea shore in Alushta, Crimea. Image - Black Sea near Alushta in the Crimea. Image - Vasyl H. Krychevsky: Alushta (1923) Image - Vasyl H. Krychevsky: A Tatar House in Alushta (1923). Image - A lighthouse on the Black Sea shore near Alushta. Image - Alushta main beach at night.


List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Alushta entry:


A referral to this page is found in 3 entries.



Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.