Partenit (called Frunzenske in 1944–1990s). Map: IX-15. Town smt (2001 pop 6,254) in Alushta raion, Crimea oblast, on the Crimean southern shore. A research branch of the Nikita Botanical Garden and a sanatorium are located in the town. A medieval Greek town, mentioned in Gothic, Khazar, and Arabic documents of the 8th to 12th centuries, was located at the site of present-day Partenit. In the 8th century a large three-nave stone basilica was built there. It was destroyed by fire in the 10th century, and it was rebuilt in 1427 and destroyed by the Turks in 1479. Its ruins were excavated in 1871 and 1907.

[This article was updated in 2007.]

List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Partenit entry:

A referral to this page is found in 1 entry.

Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.